Old Market Fire Omaha- January 9, 2016
Explosion in Omaha’s Old Market results in an M's Pub employee taken to a hospital with cuts. Contractors reported working in the area prior to the explosion and it has been alleged that the workers struck a 2" polyethylene pipe carrying natural gas before the fire. Strong smell of gas reported in the area. Firefighters battle the fire in spite of the cold conditions and a firefighter was treated after slipping on ice. The flames destroyed M's Pub in Omaha's historic Old Market when the roof of the building collapsed and the first floor of the building collapsed. OSHA proposed a fine of $4,900 for the contractors citing failure to use "safe and acceptable means" to locate underground utilities. Later developments raise the possibility that the Metropolitan Utilities District failed to sufficiently mark the location of the gas line struck by workers. Following a request to remark, MUD spokeswoman Tracey Christensen said the onsite contact for the project indicated that new markings weren’t needed. The State Fire Marshall's report has now been released to the public and a link is provided below to the report.
Buildings Evacuated After Explosion - January 9, 2016
Fire Destroys Building - January 15, 2016
Fire Declared Accidental - January 22, 2016
OSHA Cites Contractor North Central Service Inc. - May 17, 2016
Contractor Blames Utility - July 6, 2016
Notice of Probable Violation Entered Against the Metropolitan Utilities District - August 11, 2016
Gas Line Not Marked - August 12, 2016
More Details Regarding Marking Revealed - August 28, 2016
State Fire Marshal Agency Report Notes "Several Code Violations" - December 22, 2016
State Fire Marshal's Report on Fire - December 22, 2016
MUD "Expects to be Sued" - December 27, 2016
© Copyright Bryan Hauger Consulting, Inc., 2014 - 2017. All rights reserved.